22 January 2012

Homemade baby wipes

In an effort to take control of the "stuff" that comes in contact with my family, I decided to start making my own baby wipes.  The work, smell better and are even cheaper than buying them in bulk.  Start with a roll of shop towels that you cut in half.  Remove the cardboard in the center and place in an airtight container (I use one similar to this).  Mix 2 c. of hot water, one squirt of unscented sensitive lotion, same amount of liquid soap and 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil.  Tea tree, lemon or other citrus oils may be used as well.  I personally prefer lavender because it helps protect against diaper rash.  Pour half of the mixture in the bottom of the container then pour the rest over the top.  Place the lid on the container without sealing it to let them cool.  I've had them last about 2 weeks before we use them up completely so I don't know how long they last past that, but by using these instead of buying the ones from Costco I am saving about $10/month.  I'll take an extra $120 a year for something that takes about 2 minutes to make!

No comments: